Hope for the Holidays Event

Jared and I had the opportunity to attend ARORA's Hope for the Holidays event.



Back Story: On the way home from the hospital we got a call and I had to make one of the hardest decisions of my life (like the third one that day for that matter) It was ARORA's (Arkansas Organ Recovery Association) asking if we would be willing to allow Eden to be a donor.  It's one of those decisions that when everyone is well is a no brainer. Of course! But I never in a million years thought I would be having to make the decision for my one-year-old. And the thought of what would be required made me sick. But thankfully Jared is a stronger person and helped me say yes. They were able to recover a heart valve. 

Before the event we received an invitation in the mail since it was taking place in our town we decided to attend. The RSVP requested a picture and memorial of the donor so we sent that off. We really had no idea what this was going to be and only hoped and it would be helpful.

When we entered the room we were given a rose with a blank note attached. We were told to write the name and a message about your loved one on the note. We were later told that this rose would be replaced by a real rose, the note will be read aloud, and placed in the Donate Life float in the Rose Parade. For those of you that don't know (I didn't) the Rose Parade takes place on New Years Day. This also happens to be the day Eden retuned to Heaven. This hit me really hard and I immediately burst into tears. It will be amazing to know that one of the roses on that float is for our angel.


We also got to participate in a rose ceremony. Eden's picture and memorial was displayed on the screen as I walked to the front to give them the rose. We were given a red rose to replace this one. It was touching to see all the other lost loved ones. It was heartbreaking to see how many children were included. But there was also an unspoken spirit of support and togetherness as each was recognized. 




A young man was invited to speak about his experience as an organ recipient.  It was moving to see the gratitude of someone whose life was given back to them by a donation, especially since we haven't had the chance to be in contact with the recipient of Eden's heart valve yet.

After him a mother spoke about the loss of her son and how it has let her to reach out to other mothers through the organization. She invited anyone to come and talk to her afterward but the introvert inside me kept me from doing it. But before we made it out the door she ran up yelling "Wait! I need to talk to all the Mama's" It was so sweet of her to remember that I walked up under the picture of a child and to go out of her way to catch me. 

We have been amazed by ARORA. We expected to be in contact with them through the recovery process, and then possibly hear from them when the transplant occurred but no more than that. But they take very good care of their donor families. Not long after Eden's death we received a letter, and an assortment of gifts designed to honor lost loved ones. They call us every few months to check in and see if we have any questions. And we recently learned of a subcommittee that is devoted specifically to parents of donor children. I feel like it would be very easy for an organization like this to focus on the lives saved by their work. We are so grateful for the time that they take to recognize and appreciate the lives lost.

(if anyone is wondering, it usually takes 9-12 months for the organ to be ready for transplant. From there we would only be able to contact the recipient family if they wish to contact us first. But I truly hope to have that opportunity some day)

Comments